| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Want to get organized in 2022? Let Dokkio put your cloud files (Drive, Dropbox, and Slack and Gmail attachments) and documents (Google Docs, Sheets, and Notion) in order. Try Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) for free. Available on the web, Mac, and Windows.

View
 

Water

Page history last edited by catrin treanor 10 years, 10 months ago

At last - PF has it's first water butt. Installed by Charlotte, Amy, Lucy and Mr Swansborough on Monday 28/3/11.

It's located on the side of the 6th form house so that the boarders can use it to water their raised beds.

In just on wet day this Weds Mr S estimated that it had collected 30litres of water!

 

Pictures to follow soon!

 

 

 

in the news...  ever thought about how much water a google search needs?! - find out

 

Some water facts:

 

  • Even though each person only requires 48 litres of water on a daily basis, individuals in the United States use an average of 500 litres, and those in England an average of 200 litres.
  • With access to just 5 litres of water each day, more than a billion people in water poor regions around the globe survive on the same amount used to flush a toilet or take a 5-minute shower.
  • Of all the water that enters each household, about 95% of it ends up down the drain.
  •  
  • If you shorten your showers by just a single minute, you can save approximately 700 gallons of water in a month.

     

 

 WaterAid - WATCH THIS

 

 

global water facts

 

  • There are about 326 million trillion gallons of water in the world. 97.5% of it is salt water, leaving a mere 8.15 million trillion gallons (2.5%) as fresh water.Less than 1% of the world's fresh water (or about 0.007% of all water on earth) is readily accessible for direct human use.
  • Over 90% of the world's supply of fresh water is located in Antarctica. The overall amount of water on our planet has remained the same for two billion years.
  • If all the world's water were fit into a gallon jug, the fresh water available for us to use would equal only about one tablespoon.
  • 884 million people, lack access to safe drinking water supplies, approximately one in eight people.
  • A power shower in use for five-minutes uses more water than the typical person living in a developing country slum uses in a whole day.
  • Every 15 seconds, a child dies from a water-related disease.
  • Millions of women and children spend several hours a day collecting water from distant, often polluted sources.
  • To manufacture new cars as much as 148,000 litres of water are used per car.
  • It takes approximately 7,000 litres of water to refine one barrel of crude oil.

 

 

Comments (2)

nigel swansborough said

at 7:03 am on May 18, 2010

I am going to create a water consumption page in the near future, so, watch this space.

catrin treanor said

at 12:59 pm on May 18, 2010

thank you!

You don't have permission to comment on this page.